Friday, December 26, 2008

Long Ago....and So Far Away...Love Remembers

Doesn't seem possible ten years ago this month I was standing in the kitchen making dinner for 5 people. Three kids, a man and myself. We lived in Rome, NY then we moved to Wichita, KS. Six years later and 1 dog later we ended our relationship. Not really sure to this today why it all ended. I guess maybe because I was young. I was 25 when we met, he was 36. I thought I had it all. A ready made family, 3 great kids, a beautiful house, and well established loving man. I guess after the move to Wichita, KS I realized maybe perhaps I got in too deep over my head. Taking on more than I could handle. Don't get me wrong, we had some of the best days of my life. Our holidays always were so warm and homey. I remember I would take off work 5 days prior to the holiday (mainly Thanksgiving and Christmas) and I would spend all day, and I mean ALL day just baking. The house would be surrounded with cookies, buttermilk pies, pumpkin pies, apple pies, you name it..I baked it. We both were in the Air Force at the time so we had steady jobs, money was never an issue with us. I guess looking back now, the issue was ME. Me trying to find myself. I needed to explore the world and be on my own to prove to myself that I didn't need anyone to take care of me. I moved out and headed East where I got transferred to the Pentagon to work. The kids would call me for Mother's day and wish me a happy mother's day. Always made me wonder if I made the right decision to leave in the first place. Although [he] and I didn't keep too much in contact throughout the years we were broken up, I knew in my heart that one day we would be back together...I just needed to "find myself".

After many moves from Washington, DC to Virginia, to Pennsylvania, back to Virginia, on to Rochester, NY, on to Sacramento, Ca, to here San Francisco, Ca I think I may have finally "found myself". Not too long ago, as you know I was in a long distance relationship which at the time I felt was my whole life. When in fact, what I've learned now was that was only "a part of my life".

For some reason, not sure what, I decided to call my my very distant past and reach out. Not knowing what would happen or if even he would talk to me again, I took the chance and to my surprise he was single as I was. Both of us getting over a relationship many months ago. Strange how the heart knows no time. Our conversation was just like it used to be when we first dating, it was almost like we never left each other...and who's to say if we ever really did.

People tell me that "you broke up for a reason, let it go, move on". Now, I can say "I have moved on, I've moved on to a life which I don't think I ever should have left." Is it possible to "re-find" love after so many years have passed by? I know one thing now, that I'm happy we re-found each other and to me it doesn't seem like it was so "long ago...and so far away" and maybe there are things we may have forgotten about our life then, I know in our hearts...Love Remembers.

PS. Have you kindled love after so many years? Share your story, write in the comments block.

Until Next Time,

Much Love,

Nikki

1 comment:

  1. Must be the time of year. I just found my bestest friend in the world, again. She and I are married to different people and that does make it awkward. We've decided that in the next life we have to meet each other sooner and realize that we are soul-mates! But after four and a half years, we saw each other while X-mas shopping. It was like electricity went through us. We haven't stopped texting, calling, e-mailing. It reminds me of that song, "I like it, I love it, can't get enough of it!"

    ReplyDelete

Your Thoughts?

Translate